What is stamp collecting?
Collecting stamps is a hobby for people of all ages who are interested in history, geography, art and world cultures. Stamps have been issued from postal services from all over the world since 1840. Every subject you can imagine has been depicted on colorful stamps: Animals, sports, maps, cars, ships, movie stars. No matter what your interest, there are stamps that will complement that interest. Stamp collecting is anything you want it to be.
A. Why collect stamps?
Stamp collecting is fun. It is a hobby that both young and old can do and enjoy. The stamp hobby can be enjoyed on any budget – or no budget at all. Collecting stamps keeps your mind active and inquisitive, increases your knowledge of places and events, relieves the stress of the day, and offers social opportunities.
- Hobby of kings; king of hobbies! –
- Is Stamp Collecting for You? - http://www.fwpl.org/ssswcs.htm
Name your interest. Whatever it may be (sports, flowers, animals, music, art, toys, cars), there are stamps with these subjects. Stamp collecting is for you!
- To find information on various topics and related activities: http://www.americantopicalassn.org/
- For a portal on topical collecting: http://www.topicalsonstamps.com/
- For railroad topics: http://www.uqp.de/cjr/
- Carto Philatelic Society http://www.mapsonstamps.com/
- Cats on Stamps: http://www.catsonstamps.nl/
- Ships on Stamps: http://www.shipsonstamps.org
Postage Stamps: A Convergency of Metallurgy, Art & History http://www.tms.org/pubs/journals/JOM/0204/Habashi-0204.html
Art on stamps http://www.artonstamps.org